Course Name: Occupational English Test Preparation
Course Description: OET Preparation Course is an intensive course which aims to prepare and equip OET candidates, health professionals, with fundamental knowledge and skill set along with heaps of test-taking techniques which can literally enable a remarkable performance and guarantee a passing score. The training covers all 4 skills; Listening, Reading, Writing, Speaking as per the OET Test format.
- All overseas trained health professionals including Doctors, Nurses, Dentists, Physiotherapist and Pharmacist can enroll in this course.
- English proficiency level: At least a pre-intermediate level is mandatory, if the student has a lower proficiency level than this, he would have to complete the Foundation Course of English-at Acumen.
- A student achieves an advanced level of English and uses it in his communication with patients and colleagues.
- To develop analytical and critical thinking skills which help them to comprehend Medical Research Papers seen in part C of the OET Reading Test.
- Vocabulary building
- Intensive training for the correct interpretation of Spoken Language through Listening practice.
- Students develop note-taking skills as well as the ability to listen for a specific purpose.
- Students are also given insight into Australia and other countries’ culture and lifestyle, so as to enhance their acceptance and understanding of patients’ perception
- Students can converse effectively with their patients in a clinical set-up.
- To be able to write letters to other health professionals in order to convey important information about their patients’ medical history, progress, Discharge Summary or to request a further assessment.
There are several study options available but the most popular among student is the 12-week In-Class course. This course avails 20 hours of classroom sessions per week.
There are 2 batches available from Monday to Friday.
- Morning batch: 10:00 to 12:00 AM (IST)
- Evening Batch: 5:00 to 7:00 PM (IST)
New students can enroll every Monday after completing 1-Week Basic Session.
- Listening Strategies Part A, Part B and Part C
- Listening Practice is designed to enable students to gradually progress from easy to difficult level, in terms of speed of speech delivery, ascent, and vocabulary.
- Reading Strategies Part A, Part B and Part C.
- Reading Practice books too, have been designed to provide challenging tasks as per the level of each student category
- Writing Course includes thorough practice on how to select relevant points from case history and eliminate unnecessary information.
- The format of different types of letters and the use of appropriate phrases.
- Speaking Practice aims at developing the following skills:
→Assessment and Investigations
→Breaking Bad news
→Discussing Treatment Options
→Handling Difficult Patients
→Dealing With Complaints
→Explaining the Consequences
- Tenses and vigorous practice for the use of active and passive voice in sentences.
- Synthesis of Simple, Compound and Complex Sentences by using a noun, appositives, infinitive, gerund, coordinating conjunctions and transitional words and phrases.
- Model Auxiliaries
- Formal and Informal expressions
Acumen avails group batches for OET preparation. Our coaching sessions are usually for 3 months duration during which we provide intensive English training to enhance your language skills; Listening, Reading, Writing and Speaking.
We understand that as a health professional you work on a shift basis and we, therefore, allow our students to attend batches as per their convenience. There are 2 different time slots; Morning and Evening & students can interchangeably attend any of the 2 batches.
- Small Groups
- A book with detail strategies and practice test for each module.
- Special Sessions on grammar and vocabulary.
- Library from 10 am to 7 pm
- Heaps of Materials for Self-practice.
- Weekly test.
- 3 Mock tests prior to the actual exam.